Sunday, January 21, 2018

Appalachian Girl goes Western


This spring semester, I am interning at a ranch in Central Montana to fulfill a requirement for a couple classes in order to graduate in May. I’ve decided that I’ll make an attempt at doing weekly or bi-weekly installments of my experience. I’ll be here until the first part of April, so we’ll see how this goes!

            Last Tuesday, the 9th, I endured what seemed to be the longest travel day of my life. My flight out of West Virginia was delayed two hours because of fog at Dulles Airport. I had to change all of my flights around so instead of landing in Great Falls at around 2:30, I landed at around 10 that night. To top it off, my luggage didn’t make it on the plane in DC (after a 7-hour layover, which was tons of fun I might add) so when I landed at 10 o’clock, I had very, very little luggage. Thankfully, it made it on Wednesday.
           
            The next few days I was without a vehicle so I just accompanied hands and the rancher’s family to move cows or feed cows. I also helped with pre-calving vaccinations. Now that I look back, I was and still am almost always thinking “we couldn’t do it that way in West Virginia” or that “this just doesn’t happen that way in West Virginia.” For example, to move cows, they use their trucks. On our farm anyway, that is near impossible. Sometimes we will use our RTV to toll cows with feed, but the rest is done by walking. Sure, many producers use 4-wheeler’s and RTV’s to move cows in the state, but the luxury of a heated or air-conditioned truck is nearly unheard of.

            Another difference here is the wind. IT CONSTANTLY BLOWS. A couple days ago, it snowed, was close to 0 degrees, and the wind howled all day long. It was absolutely miserable for bovines and any humans involved. That was the moment, as much as I have completely wondered why we do what we do in West Virginia with such hilly ground, that I realized I miss the mountains.

            I still think though that the biggest thing other than the time change and getting used to the different climate, is the fact that there are SO many cows. I don’t think I’ve seen so many bovines in my life except maybe (which is a big maybe) since we visited a feed yard while I was on the livestock judging team.

The small-town feel is something that is still around a little bit at home, but it’s like reliving my youth being in this town. Everyone has been so nice and welcoming and even though I don’t know anyone when I’m driving, they still will wave.

            There is certainly a lot for me to get used to on this little adventure. I’m still getting used to the idea that I won’t be home until early April and will be completely missing out on my own calving and lambing, but I’m really trying to stay positive. I miss the mountains, and I will most likely go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Changes

No. I’m not writing about Thomas Rhett’s song (although it is pretty catchy don’t you think?). I’m talking about the changes that have all ...